Tuesday, December 22, 2020

technology

It was a crazy day. 

My little one has been sick and thankfully we both got negative COVID test results back today. 

It’s unnerving to be sick right now. It’s unnerving to be living with a sick person right now. It’s hard to wear a mask outside all the time and then need to wear one inside as well. Breathing gets hard. But that’s not what this is about.

After two days of not eating the little one was finally hungry until I went in search of his favorite sandwich. I walked 10 blocks and realized, as I was approaching the store, that I forgot to bring money or credit cards with me. But, I was able to pay with my phone and I thanked the lovely man behind the counter who explained it all to me for helping me into the 21st-century. After that I headed back downtown, ready to stop off for my daily hot chocolate fix, a habit I give up regularly but then succumb to again.

I had deleted my Starbucks app years ago and thought, oh! I have no money but I can pay with the Starbucks app. Problem was, after several attempts to get in and having to reset my password, there wasn’t enough money left in the app to buy anything. I had to figure out how to add more money - couldn’t find anything in the redesigned app - only turns out the credit card attached to my account had expired. And, in the new app everything is based on facial recognition, which doesn’t work when you are wearing a mask. I was trying to do all this on crowded streets while walking to the shop. Oh and my fingers were freezing which made it hard to type. Technology came make things so damn hard when it’s supposed to make things easy breezy. 

Sigh. In fact I had to sigh again as I wrote all that. 

But, I got my hot chocolate, know mostly how to use Apple Pay, have a stash of cyber cash in my Starbucks account and my little one is feeling a whole bit better. 

No comments: