Thursday, December 24, 2020

pee

11pm is my cut off. If I’m in bed, light out before then I usually get a pretty good night’s sleep. Even a minute after though and my night is fitful and restless. Ridiculous? Yes but that’s how nights work for me. 

Last night I got into bed just after 11, exhausted after 2 nights with a sick kid, ready to catch up and sleep deep. I had my hot water bottle, weighted eye mask, more pillows and blankets than one can imagine. My humidifier was filled. I turned the light off and settled in to settle down. One of my lovely pups hopped up and curled up on a pillow next to me. She quickly dozed off - it almost sounded like she was snoring, which kept me from falling asleep. I laid there, waiting for her to quiet down and eventually she hopped back up and left, something she does on a nightly basis. Only this time she left a smell. 

I rolled over to find her pillow soaked in pee. And the pee soaked through the sheet underneath and the mattress pad underneath that. Now it’s after 12 and any shot of a decent sleep is long gone as I stripped the bed, scrubbed the mattress, then spent the rest of the night at the very edge of one side, away from the wet spots we both created. 

There was one 2 hour stretch but aside from that I was up every hour, each time actively calming my thoughts, trying to doze off again. Today, I’ve now got loads and loads of unexpected laundry. 

Or, welcome to Christmas Eve which we won’t be celebrating at my brother’s for the first time in 30 or so years and my big one is half a country away. 

Or yeah, it’s 2020. 

No comments: