Sunday, December 20, 2020

looking forward and back

I'm staring down creating a Statue of Liberty crown for an upcoming action I'm organizing. It's all a bit exciting and daunting as I'm tackling things I've never done before—that's been a theme since the 2016 election and as I've been researching patterns and materials and figuring out how to pull this off I've also been thinking about how my life has changed in the 45 era:

I went to my first protest.

I started Trump Puppet Theater and created visuals I shared online for months. By the end videos were getting thousands of views and shares. 

I created the SHAME CAMPAIGN and sent tons of postcards to deserving government officials along with others who wrote with me.

I joined my very first Democratic club.

I ran for executive committee and served for 2 years.

I joined county committee and was elected secretary of my assembly district.

I ran for District Leader and lost by a vote.

I co-hosted a weekly online show called Real Politics: the TV Show.

I collated info and sent out a weekly newsletter with info about protests and actions around the city.

I spent a chunk of time with Rise and Resist, on their comms committee and their emergency decision making committee, working on their signage, website, and merch.

I discovered Sing Out, Louise! and am so exceedingly grateful to co-run things. It's the place where my organizational and styling skills come together. I've even written a few songs.

I've sung with SOL in front of the Supreme Court, the White House, locations all over NYC, the 92nd Street Y, on Sirius XM. 

I've marched at Pride, the Dyke March, March for our Lives, the Science March, the Women's March (and sang at most of those too).

I've been a Human Being with Gays Against Guns at multiple actions.

I run facebook groups and instagram accounts.

I was on the steering committee of a local activist group protecting neighborhood rights. 

I've been interviewed on TV, on the radio, in print.

I've text banked and post carded and stood on street corners canvassing. 

I've gotten to know local politicians.

I've made more buttons and t-shirts than I ever could have imagined. 

Some of that work is now part of the collection of the New York Historical Society.

I launched a PSA Etsy shop.

I've met the most extraordinary people. 

With this new project I started writing - something I mostly haven't done in my activist life. This new action is with an ad hoc group that I helped start. And to help shape something from the beginning that isn't a sing along is new too.

The past 4 years have been worse than the horror I imagined in 2016 and I envisioned some pretty heinous stuff. But, silver lining, it forced me to stretch and grow and speak up and learn how to fight, all things that are now part of my sparkly* arsenal.


*sequins and glam as every day wear is new too.




No comments: