Monday, September 6, 2010

It's all in where you sit

My apartment is a relatively spacious 2-bedroom in NYC. For example: at the moment we have 3 bikes in the apartment which feels annoying and a bit cluttered but they don't make functioning impossible. I can host 17 people for a sit down dinner but that involves moving lots of furniture and borrowing folding tables and chairs.

My entirely not private lair is the corner of my living room where my computer resides. This is where I work, write, design, escape. It's the first place I go when I wake up in the morning, the last place I sit before I go to bed. In the middle of the usual chaos of my day I disappear there, smack in the middle of everything. My 27 inch iMac is my portal to anywhere but current reality. A laptop works too. Anything with a screen I can dive into.

But, while we were away, I didn't open my laptop once. That's unheard of for me. I found I didn't miss it. I have my phone and can be connected all the time, just in a smaller way.

I decided, when I got home, not to get sucked into corner as much. Even if I'm connected to the outside world, I'm sitting on my couch (like now), a puppy on my lap, far more in the middle of things than usual.

So far I've knit a bunch of the scarf I was supposed to be living in this summer. I watched Planet of the Apes (hated it), was far more involved with everyone than I used to be.

I'm sticking with this. My small screen and my couch. And when people complain I'm always typing away I'll remind them that I'm here, not way over there.

No comments: