Friday, July 16, 2010

happiness is a cute puppy

These days I'm finding moments of pure happiness.

It's the puppy.

She's so damn cheerful it's just about impossible not to be too when you're around her.

People stop us on the street just to scratch her ears or rub her belly. And when someone pays attention to her, in that moment they become her best friend.

She makes the moment everything there is.

She is love.

She is joy.

She is fluffy and delicious and sweet.

My jaded cynical self spends way too much time playing fetch or sitting on the floor with Gracie in my lap, ravaging a plush bone or teething toy.

I chat to everyone's whose paths we cross out on the street.

I'm sure my pre-puppy self would be cringing right now, just for having thought the above thoughts. But life with Gracie is a far less judgmental place.

My heart swells watch Jack play tug of war with her.

My smile stretches as far as it possibly can when Iz walks her so comfortably down the street.

I don't even mind picking up poop.

This is all pretty shocking. I didn't want a dog. And now I can't imagine life without her.

1 comment:

quin browne said...

Snoopy said it best--

"Happiness is a warm puppy."