Sunday, December 3, 2023

meatless

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1TFkUb-5zXJo_G7zJxzoajoNV4i86Zlxx
I’ve been a vegetarian for just about 40 years. The last time I eat meat (chicken) someone served me a dish and asked me to let them know if it was still bloody. In that moment I fundamentally changed how I ate and never looked back. 

Back in the day it wasn’t so easy to be vegetarian. The world, or at least the world I ate in, focused on meat eaters. Steamed vegetables and a plate of plain pasta was what most restaurants could offer me when I somewhat embarrassingly announced my diet was different than everyone else at the table. I remember being on a cruise, the actual Love Boat in fact, and they were so unprepared for my request that every day the head chef presented me with a special menu because I was the only vegetarian on board. But, time passed and things changed. Meatless options became easier to find as more people changed their way of eating. Instead of feeling marginalized, my eating choices because more mainstream and it’s been a minute since I felt self conscious about how I eat. Until today. 

Set the stage: dinner in Florida. 4:45 start time at a seafood restaurant I was assured would have plenty of options for me. Before I got through the appetizer section which had not a single option for me, I knew this place was old school and, much to my surprise, those uncomfortable, needing to apologize for how I ate feelings bubbled up a bit. I didn’t want to go back to a bland plate of zucchini with white rice on the side. Instead I special requested asparagus sautéed with garlic and a baked potato. Slightly more personality than choices I’d been given in the past but I will certainly appreciate being back at restaurants with plenty of things for me to consider. 

No comments: