Monday, September 19, 2016

changes 4.0: bodies

I spent much, if not most, of my life unhappy with my body.

My hips too wide, freckles apparent on my arms, cellulite mottling my thighs.

Big feet, big nose, big ears.

Bowed legs. Thick eyebrows. Eyes that needed correcting in 4th grade.

Minutes, hours, days, months, years spent trying to lose weight, battling anorexia, working out too hard and beating up on this body I often felt was the enemy.

But now I revere it.

This is my home.

My heart beats with love.

My skin wraps me tight (although slightly less tight in some areas).

My legs walk for miles and get me where I need to go.

My hands knit and bake and hug.

My larger than ever lap held babies who grew into wonderful young adults.

In a world where it's all too easy to feel fat, old, wrinkly, inadequate, I treasure this body. I've learned to give it rest when it needs, to stretch it when it's tight, to heal it through meditation, to appreciate all we've been through together.

No comments: