Wednesday, August 17, 2016

ends

A dear cousin died yesterday. 

Someone I didn't see often or know particularly well. But someone I was always delighted to see, who was at the top of my favorite relatives list. Her drive, her determination, her work ethic after a stroke to get herself to a better, stronger place were inspirational. 

She and her husband Sid, both active folk dancers, were the namesakes for my kidneys as I went through the donation process. They were touched and slightly bewildered by that but my brother, my recipient, and I admired their perseverance and joy in continuing to do  what they loved. 

I was lucky to spend time with her a couple of months ago at a family bat mitzvah. It was good to catch up, to sit, to share all that had been going on. To hold hands. To watch people dancing. To relax in comfortable quiet. 

While I didn't see her often it was always assumed there would be a next time, in the way that families are constant and fixed in time and space somehow. 

But whenever I celebrate this transplant, she will always be with me. 


No comments: