Friday, October 5, 2012

growing up

Last night I ran for freshman VP of Brooklyn Tech's PTA. Several other people nominated themselves. A sizable crowd turned out to vote. I gave a 2 minute speech summing up who I am, what I've done and what I'd like to do.

I won.

I had the feeling I would. And to be honest I was a bit ambivalent about the whole thing without really knowing why.

But here's what I know today.

3 years ago, the last time I started on a PTA board, I didn't know how to run anything. I didn't want to. I was happy sitting quietly in the corner, designing posters and fliers for people. I didn't feel comfortable getting up and speaking in public. Didn't feel my ideas were valuable or worth sharing. I avoided spotlights and any responsibility bigger than what went on in my own little fiefdom.

By the time Iz graduated I was co president. Created an entire communications system. Spoke as easily to large groups of people as I would to a handful.

I shared ideas. Turned them into reality. Helped build community. Forged new relationships. Put myself out there in ways that had never crossed my mind before.

This school is much bigger. It's the largest high school in the country actually. It's daunting to dive into such an epic unknown. But I can see from here positive differences I can make. Ideas are flowing and instead of quietly sitting in the corner I'm ready to make things happen.

I'm growing up. Along with my 14 year old.

Maybe I'll start sporting an ear cuff and Dr Marten's.

No comments: