Thursday, November 3, 2011

I have a theme

Nope, not a dream (although I'm sure I could conjure some interesting things up here), but a theme. A theme, as in theme song. I'm trying it on, trying it out, as I start this new road back to myself. After starting The Artist's Way last week, I've been looking for synchronicity, potential pathways, changing my point of view.

One of the exercises is to list 20 things you like to do and when you last did them. Listening to music was one of mine. Throughout my life I've always had anthems, or songs that powerfully resonated with what I was living through at that moment. I can't think of how many times I listened to Like a Rolling Stone while my parents were splitting up. Muddy Waters was the soundtrack of my art school portfolio. Traffic got me through FLOW.

But, I don't get to listen very much anymore. Living in an apartment where everyone is always in the same room, my background noise is reruns of The Office mixed with Jon Stewart, Assasin's Creed and an occasional Abba interlude. But lately, I keep coming back to this one song: Praise You, by Fat Boy Slim. Its positive power washes over me every single time I hear it..

Here's the synchronicity part: last night in a mind-blowing, thought-provoking, inside-looking yoga class, the teacher challenged everyone to let go of their stuff. The blame. The shame. To go deeper and appreciate and accept.

Which is what The Artist's Way is saying.

Which is how I'm starting to feel when I look at all I've accomplished and where I am.

"We've come a long long way together,
through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby.
I have to praise you like I should."

Damn. Those words are ringing really true right now. For me. About me. I am proud of who I am. Of what I've done. Of all I've overcome. Of the person I've become. The writer, the mother, the volunteer, the donor, the designer, the friend, the partner, the support system, the motivator, the organizer, the inspiration.

We all deserve some of this. Some appreciation and acknowledgment of who we are. Of how we handle these crazy lives, the stresses we'd never imagined, the challenges that continue to show up.

A little praise goes a long way folks.

Try it.

(this post would not have been possible without Ashleigh Beyer and Emily Stone)

No comments: