Saturday, September 11, 2010

Change

Someone in my house hates bagels. HATES. Just the suggestion of a bagel, which I find a remarkably innocuous myself, sends someone into a disgusted frenzy.

Nothing in the bagel shop is edible. Not cinnamon raisin, not salt, not sesame seed. Not even worth walking through the door as just the idea of a bagel can be so repellent.

And then 2 days ago this person discovered that bagels aren't poisonous. In fact, they're not so bad. In more fact this child of mine's consumed 4 plain buttered bagels since yesterday. Delightedly I must add.

Sometimes I think we hold onto to things, to likes, to dislikes, to relationships, to pain for far longer than we actually need to.

I ran into an old friend on the street today who turns up at the most random, unexpected times. No one else I know pops up this way. And this person, boom, is suddenly standing in front of me, out of the blue. Today I realized he showed up to remind me I'm holding on to something that I should've let go of a long time ago. Something I don't need anymore. Something I've outgrown only I hadn't realized it yet. It's like the mystery person at my house discovered the long standing bagel hate was a thing of the past.

I need to let go too.

No comments: