Tuesday, December 30, 2008

let it snow let it snow let it snow


When I woke up this morning, it was snowing. The sky was dark and grey. The wind was howling through the trees, blowing snow into drifts. I was probably the only person in Vermont who thought: oh shit. Snow. Shit. Being with skiers, who live for fresh snow and new powder, I am the biggest damper on enthusiasm you can find. I panic about the ice under the snow. I freak when the car skids half an inch. I hate the thought of being stuck here another night because of inclement weather. A new storm is supposed to start after midnight and I want us to pack our bags and go home today so we're not stuck in the morning. Which is worse? Driving at night or driving through a storm? I'm thinking storm. I'm thinking I'm so done with this trip. I'm thinking I want to sleep in my bed, with my humidifier. My wireless connection that works all the time. Places I can walk to. A floor that isn't almost covered with frost. I've handled 4 nights here and it's actually been far more ok than I ever imagined, but impending winter storm warnings erase my mellow.

No comments: