Tuesday, September 16, 2008

judgement

This morning I saw a man, wearing a jacket and tie, standing in front of the New School with boxes of super small bright green covered Gideon bibles. As I walked down 6th avenue I saw a woman with a stack handing them to anyone who would take one and several people thumbing through as they strolled down the street. And then a woman at my coffee shop was holding a bible studies brochure. My first reaction was to get in her face and ask her just how she could support Sarah Palin and John McCain. No, that was my second thought. My first thought was: idiot. And then my mind raced thinking about how small-minded she was, didn't she know the division religion caused in this country, why and how did she buy in to all that nonsense. I was pissed and offended and inappropriately judgmental.

Just because someone had a bible or was carrying a pamphlet was enough information for me to categorize them into something stupid and evil. It would almost be funny if it wasn't so scary. I am scathingly judgmental about people who hide behind their religious beliefs. But I am equally as rigid about them being wrong.

No comments: