Sunday, December 31, 2023

2023

Lately I’ve been feeling like I haven’t accomplished much, that life has been a bit flat and uninteresting and I’m floating on the surface instead of digging in. I mean grief can do that to you. I lost my brother and dear puppy this year and my mom the summer before. It’s been a stretch of sobbing at the drop of a hat and emptiness and sadness and scrolling through voicemails and photos and wishing it was all different or that I did more or that things weren’t what they now are. 

So I made a list of 2023 things, thinking there would be nothing on it and turns out things aren’t so black and white. I:

was interviewed on NPR and by The NY Times

was part of a coalition that helped a bunch of families in the Bronx through the high school process 

learned to put in a zipper and make pouches and tote bags for lots of people 

lounged on the beaches of Turks and Caicos

danced more than I have in years
hung out with super cool  friends

did all sorts of NYC things I’d never done before like silent discos at Lincoln Center and Diner en Blanc

visited one kid in LA
attended my other one’s college graduation
got all new furniture for my living room in bright and vibrant colors

let go of people who weren’t the right fit for me
podcasted for an entire year
helped my little one get through some really tough times
spent hours and hours in the hospital with my brother 
logged 15k exercise minutes 
Sometimes it’s hard to look at the bigger picture when you’re smack in the middle of stuff. 
Here’s to a 2024 with hopefully less grief and bigger things. 


No comments: