Saturday, February 14, 2009

I like the cover . . . I really like the cover


Yesterday, my editor sent over Flow's latest cover design. I was on a school bus, heading to see a play at Lincoln Center with Jack's class, and read her super enthusiastic email with a growing sense of doom. Been there, done that. I'd hated everything they'd sent so far and had no hope whatsoever that this would be any different. I knew this was it and that if I didn't like it, screw me, nothing was changing. I fought the urge to delete the message but, finally, took a deep breath and watched it slowly download.

I didn't hate it.

In fact, I didn't not like it.

I sent it to Jon, to see what he thought and the more I stared at the 1 inch image on my cell phone, I started to really like it. It was smart, clever, relevant. The cover was white with black type and red in the "o" which made me think of my original Flow logo. It was appealing, retro, fit in with all my other books, style-wise. The riff on calendar girls, the perfect woman image in spite of what she was physically going through? Total theme in the book. This guy nailed an impossible design challenge. For the first time in almost 2 years I'm excited about Flow (and I never thought I would be again).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Followed you from twitter...LOVE the cover! The title sounds great too. Can't wait to read it.