Monday, April 20, 2009

putting things away

Everyone's finally back at school/work (!) and finally, after a week and a half, I was able to take a deep breath, come back home after drop off, and get back to normal. My normal anyway. But, there was an overwhelming mess waiting for me. How is it so constant? It seems that no matter how much I put away, more mysteriously/magically/surprisingly appears. This morning there were countless empty glasses in various rooms, sneakers by the couch, breakfast dishes on the table, on the counter, in the sink, piles of laundry in the bathroom, stuffed animals on my windowsill, beach toys by the front door, a frisbee on my desk. Bugle beads and a wig for a peep diorama. 3 pairs of scissors. Pillows on the floor. Magazines in various corners. Both sweatshirts and bathing suits on the floor. Cabinets open. Paperwork scattered. Piles of laundry to be put away.

I wanted to sit for a few, and appreciate the solitude. But while my family left, they left me with all their stuff.

No comments: